Senior Engineer - IBM i Senior Systems Engineer
Posted on: September 20, 2022
Worker Type:EmployeeSenior IBM i Systems Engineer ensure the
stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information
systems that support core organizational functions and clients.
This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and
optimizing all operating systems assigned. The Senior Systems
Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and
problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve
issues to maximize the benefit of IT systems while mentoring team
members with client support.JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the remediation of server incidents including
timely responses, thorough analysis, and all proper follow up
- Responsible for responding to service restoration calls.
- Responsible for the overseeing of incident queues to ensure
service level service levels are met
- Responsible for the overseeing of request queues and taking
ownership of completing the requested work detail .
- Responsible for reducing repeating incidents by performing deep
analyses of tickets, adjusting thresholds, and/or performing root
cause analysis to prevent future occurrences.
- Responsible for technical infrastructure projects
- Collaborates with various groups to select appropriate design,
process and tests and ensures the compatibility of system
- Responds to client/stakeholder problems in a timely manner,
prioritizing multiple issues based on the severity of the case.
Updates tickets with clear, concise and detailed documentation,
including all communications regarding work, emails, phone calls
and service attempts.
- Determines need for and responsible for installing Operating
Systems patches including pre and post level reporting.
- Follows documented procedures for installing, maintaining and
administering server hardware and software environments.
- Possess an understanding of server hardware components.
- Possess an understanding of network design, components and
computer systems interactionsQUALIFICATIONS :
- Bachelors degree required and/or equivalent work
- IBM i, iSeries, AS/400 System Administration (10+ years
- i/OS support for versions V4R5 to Current Release
- Hardware Management Console (HMC) configuration and
- IBM Power Systems Hardware configuration and support
- IBM Server firmware support
- Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) configuration and support
- Internal/External (SAN) DASD general understanding and
- SAN replication methods (IBM FSFC) configuration and
- Virtual Tape Library (VTL) solution (Dell/EMC) configuration
- BRMS (in-depth knowledge) configuration and support
- Data replication (PowerHA, MIMIX, iTera, DataMirror, QEDD,
others) configuration and support
- MQ Series configuration and support
- Troubleshooting skills, analytical skills, experience in high
availability/real time environment
- Ability to coordinate actions through others and willing to
adapt to change
- Effective Communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a teaming environment, attention to detail
and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to coach others, ensure processes and procedures are up
to date and followed, facilitate cross training among different
teams, manage scheduling, facilitate Major Incident calls with
support teams and client representative
- Dynamic schedules - MUST BE ABLE TO WORK NIGHTS/WEEKENDS
(on-call rotation)SECONDARY SKILLS:
- Familiarity with the following tools: Service Manager, CASD
Service Desk or ServiceNOW Configuration Management Database,
Inventory asset management, HP Service Desk, BMC for iSeries,
Halcyon and Unicenter
- CL coding (develop and support)
- SQL & DB performance monitoring & tuning - utilizing tools like
DBMON & iDoctor
- RPG Application development coding General UnderstandingPrimary
Location City/State:Homebased - Downers Grove, IL - Finley,
IllinoisAdditional Locations (if applicable):Ensono is an Equal
Employment Opportunity Employer. Ensono provides equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status,
sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
veteran status, military status, or any other status protected by
Keywords: Ensono, Charleston , Senior Engineer - IBM i Senior Systems Engineer, Other , Charleston, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!