Health Data Analyst - Health Affairs
Company: West Virginia University (WVU)
Posted on: June 9, 2021
The Office of Heath Affairs at West Virginia University is
seeking applications for a Health Data Analyst located in
Charleston, WV.The Health Data Analyst is a key participant in the
emerging State-University partnership between the West Virginia
University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department
of Health and Human Resources. Overarching responsibilities include
working with the State to leverage support analytic and policy
needs, conduct relevant policy and evaluation research, participate
in interdisciplinary research and evaluation teams, and provide
oversight and support to other data analysts and personnel embedded
within the Department for Health and Human Resources. The Health
Data Analyst will be an employee of the West Virginia University
Office of Health Affairs;however, this individual will be embedded
within the Department for Health and Human Resources, and will work
full-time out of their offices in Charleston, West Virginia.
In order to be successful in this position,the ideal candidate
- Serves as a University representative and liaison to the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources for the planning
and performance of projects, programs and activities involving
health data analytics and program evaluation.
- Work as part of a team to advance the partnership between the
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West
Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
- Facilitates communication and efficient collaboration between
research partners at the West Virginia University Health Sciences
Center and the staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and
- Oversee and conduct analyses of Medicaid claims data and other
state data sources at the direction of the Office of Health Affairs
leadership or other leadership within the Department for Health and
- Supports both West Virginia University faculty as well as
leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources in
using state data sources to answer evaluation questions of interest
to the state.
- Assist with training other West Virginia University faculty in
analyzing Medicaid claims data and other state data sources using
SAS or other statistical analysis packages.
- Ensures that data analytic and research/evaluation activities
are compliant with University-level policies for the responsible
conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
- Provides consultation to faculty and government partners
regarding preparation of research proposals, design and
methodology, data analytics and interpretation of results.
- Identifies opportunities for potential collaborations between
the Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of
Health and Human Resources.
- Prepares reports as required by the University, the Health
Sciences Center administration, and external agencies. Communicates
results of analytic projects and program evaluations with relevant
staff of the West Virginia Department of Health and Human
- Conducts or directs special projects as assigned. Acts in other
matters and capacities as delegated by the Assistant or Associate
Vice President for Health Affairs and other Directors as
- Master's level degree in health-related field.
- Two (2) years of experience conducting research/evaluation
using large health data sources within the healthcare industry or
academic or governmental sectors
- Record of research and achievement in health outcomes and
policy research (health services research, public health
informatics, health policy, clinical outcomes) as evidenced by
publications and / or sustained involvement in a research
- Extensive knowledge and experience in utilizing large health
databases for research, program evaluation, and policy
- Experience analyzing administrative health claims data
- Proficiency in the use of standard statistical analysis
packages such as SAS or R
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative
- Record of accomplishments in the area of health data
- Strong ability to communicate goals, methods, and results of
research initiatives with key stakeholders.
- Proficiency presenting the results of data analyses to diverse
groups of stakeholders
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless
endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most
passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits
for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our
students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best
out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university,
one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.
Keywords: West Virginia University (WVU), Charleston , Health Data Analyst - Health Affairs, Other , Charleston, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!