Charleston Grill Sous Chef
Company: Belmond Charleston Place
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Candidate must have the ability to execute & supervise all areas of the kitchen. Ideal candidate will be able to follow recipes and standards, train employees, and maintain health department, food quality, and restaurant standards. Must have the ability to work closely with Chef on food quality, cost, payroll and implement new menus. Will create and foster a sanitary, productive, and team oriented work environment. Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays. World-class jazz music meets mouth-watering cuisine at Charleston Grill. Chef Michelle Weaver takes local delicacies to innovative new heights with a heavenly mix of delightful dishes. General Manager Mickey Bakst and his staff have carefully curated an ambiance that is all at once mellow and lively, traditional and contemporary. Soft jazz bounces off of wood-paneled walls and crisp, white tablecloths. Servers trained in the French tradition delight guests with each menu suggestion and wine pairing. Seamless service, orchestrated by the attentive, knowledgeable and approachable staff, sets the stage for an unforgettable dining experience. Requirements
- Supervise entire kitchen operation in absence of the Executive Chef.
- Train and supervise employees.
- Schedule production work for employees.
- Check staffing, uniforms, and daily production sheets.
- Review quality of product.
- Coordinate units of kitchen operation.
- Assist with controlling food costs and requisitioning necessary supplies.
- Ensure proper sanitation and maintenance of kitchen equipment and kitchen operation.
- Ensure that meals are prepared and delivered on time and in acceptable quantity and quality.
- Test, write, and standardize recipes. Establish and create written standards for execution.
- Assist with developing new menu items to allow the hotel to compete with other restaurants in the area.
- Review the daily activities; check the following: house count, forecasted covers for each outlet, catering activity, purchases, meetings, appointments, and VIP/special guests.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, and all kitchen stations. Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
- Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and hotel requirements.
- Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the kitchen operation, stressing safety.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Ensure that each kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
- Assist with monthly culinary inventories. Monitor monthly status of all accrual categories, i.e., linen, table ware, food supplies, etc.
- Assist with the recruiting, hiring, evaluation, training and discipline of all hourly employees to ensure consistency in administering direction; follow up with corrections where needed.
- Tour kitchen facilities daily; monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to divisional standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel. Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees.
- Ensure that all staff attend required training in hazardous communication, safety, and sanitation as established by local and government regulations.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Thoroughly train culinary staff (preparation and cooking of all dishes) and service staff (plating).
- Assist staff with their job functions to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Promote positive guest relations at all times. Observe guest reactions and confer frequently with staff to ensure guest satisfaction; monitor and handle guest complaints.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all hotel features/services and hours of operation.
- Observe standards for the department in image, appearance, and grooming; properly represent the company and the profession to outside organizations and the community.
- Be knowledgeable of, implement, communicate, and comply with policies of Belmond Hotels, Belmond Charleston Place, and its Hotel Human Resources Department.
- Practice emergency procedures in compliance with hotel/company standards; react and assist in hotel emergency situations as needed.
- Be an ambassador of the hotel and the company at all times, in and out of the work place.
- Ensure security and confidentiality of all guest and hotel information. Ability to work all stations in kitchen. Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and employees to their understanding. Ability to work a ten hour shift, five or six days per week in hot, noisy and crowded conditions. Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations. Knowledge of food cost controls. Computer proficient. Ability to provide legible communication. Ability to think clearly, analyze and resolve problems and exercise good under high pressure or emergency situations. Ability to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner. Ability to work effectively and relate well with senior management, colleagues, subordinates, and individuals inside and outside the hotel. Ability to ascertain guests'/employees' needs and comply with such to ensure guest/employee satisfaction. Ability to focus on details. Ability to input and access information into property management system. Ability to work without direct supervision. Ability to motivate hotel staff and maintain a cohesive team. Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments; delegate work. Ability to remain calm, courteous and professional with demanding/difficult guests and/or situations. Knowledge of fire and building codes. Understanding of the luxury hotel/culinary environment. Preferred: ability to communicate in a second language, preferably Spanish; certification in CPR. EOE/DFWP Benefits Belmond Charleston Place provides a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, vision, disability, life and AD&D insurance. You are eligible for the majority of these plans after 60 days of full-time employment. The effective date will be the first of the month following your 60th day worked. We also offer 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid vacation and holidays, as well as tuition assistance.
Keywords: Belmond Charleston Place, Charleston , Charleston Grill Sous Chef, Hospitality & Tourism , Charleston, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!