Application Security Engineer - REMOTE
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. Thats the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryTechnologyTarget Openings1Job Description SummaryYou
will work closely with the Claim Application Security team. This
program includes interpretation of code scanning results to help
developers remediate vulnerabilities in internally developed
applications. You will also be the point of contact for threat
modeling activities for Claim IT Agile Release Trains (ARTs). You
will be responsible for working with Claim IT architects,
developers and application security engineers, within the assigned
Agile Release Trains, to help guide them through the different
activities surrounding defensive coding techniques. You will work
closely with the Claim Architecture Review Board to identify
architectural patterns in use and work with the team to ensure
threat modeling is conducted against the understood patterns. You
will be responsible for working with the architects and senior
application security engineers to develop a plan to ensure that all
patterns are reviewed with a regular cadence and work with the
teams to ensure that necessary audit artifacts are documented.The
successful candidate for this role will be expected to think like
an attacker and anticipate how they might exploit weaknesses. You
will be responsible for researching relevant attack methods and
engage with the ARTs and other Application Security Engineers to
help ensure that all relevant risks are identified and addressed
throughout the DevSecOps process. You will work directly with Agile
teams to ensure security is included throughout the entire
development process while ensuring minimal impact to schedules.You
will work closely with developers to help ensure that a culture of
security is woven into the development cycle and identify
opportunities to shift identification of vulnerabilities to earlier
in the development process. You will work with Claim IT developers
to help perform code scanning and track remediation efforts.Primary
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Work directly with Claim IT architects, developers and other
Application Security Engineers to help guide the Application
- Research relevant attack methods and engage with Senior
Application Security engineer and Information Security to help
ensure that all relevant risks are identified and addressed.
- Guide product and engineering teams to building secure features
through security architecture design reviews and threat
- Be an advocate for secure coding practices across all
- Use attack driven techniques to defend our applications and
systems by discovering weaknesses in our web and mobile application
- Work with the ARTs to ensure security is embedded throughout
the entire development process.
- Serve as the go between for Claim IT developers and Travelers
Information Security.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in computer science, information technology,
or equivalent experience in related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of personnel
within an organization.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience in developing in common languages such as .NET,
Java, React, Angular, etc. a plusEducation, Work Experience, &
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience developing information security standards and
procedures a plus.
- Penetration testing, Web Application Penetration testing a
- Certifications such as CSSLP, GWEB, GWAPT, or GPEN a plus.
- Experience working in an Information Security group a
- Experience assessing and documenting the design of security
controls to mitigate risk a plus.
- Skilled at contributing and communicating knowledge of concepts
to a broader audience.Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Problem Solving:
- Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with
issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is
available but must be further manipulated.
- Once decisions are made, is able to follow and direct action to
implement intended results.
- Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements
effective, timely solutions.
- Openly and directly confronts conflict until resolved.
- Team Orientation:
- Builds relationships with peers and other departments to
achieve objectives, to work as one team and to secure necessary
resources not under his/her personal control.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Puts success of team above self.
- Supports a distinct business unit or several smaller
- Responsibilities are assigned with some latitude for setting
priorities and decision-making using established policies and
- Results are reviewed with next-level manager for clarification
and direction before proceeding.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Works with the project manager in identifying those project
tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities and
understands the larger picture.
- Anticipates and effectively responds to changes in workload and
resources.Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- On call as needed.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal
opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents
each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we
benefit in numerous ways from our differences.If you are a
candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical
requirements of this role, please send us an email
(4-ESU@travelers.com) so we may assist you.Travelers reserves the
right to fill this position at a level above or below the level
included in this posting.To learn more about our comprehensive
benefit programs please visit
Keywords: Travelers, Charleston , Application Security Engineer - REMOTE, Engineering , Charleston, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!